There is no one banana bread recipe for all people. I am particular about my baked goods because I expect a lot from them. I love to bake and love how certain substitutions can really change the way a dish tastes. As I get older I have become much more sensitive to sugar. Maybe it’s because I pay more attention to my sugar intake or maybe my body can’t process it as well. It doesn’t really matter, all the Important Diet People say sugar is the devil and we should limit it in our diets.
Tell that to my taste buds. Banana bread is one of those comfort dishes for me that I love. I want it to be moist, heavy, and not too sweet. Most recipes call for way too much sugar.
This recipe is very, very good. I used two bananas that were so ripe they fell out of the skins and I think that helped. I cut the refined sugar down to 1/4 cup and used 1/4 cup of palm sugar, my new favorite substitution. I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. And lastly, I used plain 2% Greek yogurt instead of vanilla yogurt.
Next time I will try eliminating all refined sugar and solely use palm sugar or maybe honey & palm sugar. I might also try combining some cinnamon and stevia or the like and sprinkling it on top.
My 3-year-old son loves it as well which is a huge bonus for me!
So here’s the recipe I recommend:
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup refined sugar
- 1/4 palm sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Spray an 8 inch loaf pan with PAM or other like products; set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together bananas, oil, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour.
- Once mixed add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until incorporated.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 45-55 minutes or until center of bread is cooked.
- Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!